Dermal fillers are a type of cosmetic treatment that involves injecting substances into the skin to help fill in wrinkles and give the face a more youthful appearance. They have been called the substance of youth by many – and rightfully so. In the hands of a highly experienced dermatologist, you too can look replenished and have a youthful-looking face, thanks to dermal fillers.
Dermal fillers are made with different materials, with the most common ingredient being hyaluronic acid (HA), which is a substance that is naturally produced by the body. As we age, our bodies produce less hyaluronic acid, and this can lead to drier, thinner skin with more wrinkles and fine lines. Hyaluronic acid attracts and holds water molecules, which helps keep the skin hydrated and plump. It is one of the biggest reasons why hyaluronic acid is commonly used in skincare products.
The type of filler used will depend on the specific area being treated and the desired results. Let’s talk about the three different types of dermal fillers offered by the board-certified and fellowship-trained dermatologists at Georgia Skin Cancer & Aesthetic Dermatology, a top-notch dermatology practice in Georgia.
Juvéderm dermal fillers contain hyaluronic acid and come in different types, such as: Juvéderm, Juvéderm Voluma XC, Juvéderm Volbella XC, and Juvéderm Vollure XC.
- Juvéderm can be used to improve the following: nasolabial folds (forming between the nose and the mouth), marionette lines (forming from the mouth to the corners of the chin), lips, and tear troughs or dark circles around the eyes.
- Juvéderm Voluma XC improves facial volume loss in the cheeks, temples, and mid-face. Juvéderm Volbella XC softens the appearance of fine lines above the border that connects the lips to the rest of the face, also known as the vermillion border.
- Juvéderm Vollure XC softens the appearance of lines around the mouth, such as the nasolabial folds, and marionette lines and adds volume to the lips.
The results of Juvéderm can last up to 18 months.
Restylane contains hyaluronic acid and comes in different types, such as: Restylane-L, Restylane Lyft, Restylane Defyne, and Restylane Refyne.
- Restylane-L plumps the skin to address nasolabial wrinkles and marionette lines. It can also be used to improve dark circles around the eyes.
- Restylane Lyft improves facial volume loss in the cheeks, temples, and mid-face.
- Restylane Defyne smooths out deep nasolabial and marionette lines.
- Restylane Defyne softens nasolabial and marionette lines.
Radiesse dermal fillers, unlike Juvéderm and Restylane, are made of smooth calcium hydroxylapatite (CaHA) microspheres suspended in a water-based gel. Radiesse injections can be used to improve the appearance of more than just wrinkles, lines, and volume loss. Radiesse is used on the cheeks, temples, nasolabial folds, and marionette lines. It also helps reduce volume loss on the backs of the hands.
With so many different types of dermal fillers on the market, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed. That’s why you must consult a board-certified dermatologist about dermal fillers in order to find out which type is ideal for you.
Results from Radiesse can last up to 18 months.
Dermal Fillers in Winder, Athens, Lake Oconee, Elberton, and Commerce, GA
The dermatologists at Georgia Skin Cancer & Aesthetic Dermatology offer a wide range of cosmetic services, including dermal fillers to help you look your best. We use Juvéderm, Restylane, and Radiesse injectables, and will determine which type of filler is most appropriate for you.
To schedule a consultation, call our dermatology office today at (706) 543-5858 or use our convenient appointment request form.